New Invention Methodist Church – More than 162 years of Witness
Information taken from New Invention Methodist Church – Commemorative Booklet ( 1898 – 2013)
Methodism began in New Invention village in cottage meetings of miners, farmers, locksmiths and labourers, long before a building existed. It began because of the men and women who wished to bring others to Christ. Later, Mr J Squire, the lock manufacturer, allowed the society to meet for Sunday Services in his warehouse which had to be cleaned on the Saturday afternoon, ready for Sunday Worship.
In 1851 the first place of worship was built. It held about 100 people in all. In 1879 permission was granted to purchase a piece of land for the New Chapel, however it took 19 years before it came to fruition.
In 1898 the Foundation Stone was laid. In September 1898 arrangements were submitted for the opening of the New Church. At this point the Old Church was vacated and used as a Sunday School.
In April 1989 the Sunday School was burned down after an arson attack and a new building opened in November 1990, through insurance money and further £10000 raised.
The Church closed its doors earlier this year in April – a selection of photos taken after most of the alter had been stripped. Photos include various stones with names of those that contributed, fundraised,or donated to the church/new Sunday School.
A selection of photos
Justice Secretary Chris Grayling paid a visit to The Square in New Invention to talk about the problems of anti-social behaviour. Pizza by Carlos, owner Carlos explained the problems they had personally encountered.
Picture below with Carlos, Chris Grayling, Ben Gray, Conservative Council Candidate for Willenhall North, Douglas Hansen-Luke, Prospective MP for Walsall North and Peter Heyhoruk, Short Heath activist.